Year of Publishing
Zimbabwes Upgraded family well programm
PDF • Size: 1.5 MB
The concept of “self-supply” as a means of providing water to families (who become responsible for their own supply) is becoming increasingly common in Zimbabwe. However there is nothing new in it. For well over half a century, thousands of families living in the rural areas of Zimbabwe had dug their own wells as a means of providing water for domestic and agricultural use. And many families have built tanks to catch rainwater. Rain water harvesting is another method which could fall under the concept of self-supply. A communal hand pump water supply program to support communities living in the rural areas had also begun in the 1930’s when the Bush Pump, then known as the Murgatroyd pump, after its inventor, first began to provide water in Matabeleland. The hand pump supply, supported by the governments Department of Water, subsequently spread throughout the country. In later years the on site management of the Hand Pump programme was and is managed by the District Development Fund. For the cities and towns, water is supplied through municipal piped water supplies, largely supplied from dams and reservoirs. However many people living in the urban areas also used their own wells and boreholes excavated on their own property. And self-supply in the cities is now becoming common.
The Blair Pump is a simple direct action shallow well hand pump. It was first designed in 1976 and developed further at the Blair Research Laboratory in Harare, (formerly Salisbury). The earlier models were heavy duty using 90mm PVC pipe as a cylinder. The maximum lift of these earlier models was 6m. Later in the early 1980’s a lighter duty model was designed at the laboratory for family use. Like the earlier model it was built with “off the shelf” fittings, which could put together by an artisan or in the home. This later model used 40mm PVC as a cylinder. The maximum pipe length for these later models was 12m. A description of its construction was introduced in to the school curriculum at the time. A mass produced version was also manufactured in Zimbabwe in the early 1980’s, using 50mm PVC pipe as a cylinder. These various models were described in detail in Rural Water Supplies and Sanitation.
A brief history of the India Mark II/III, Afridev and the Zimbabwe Bush Pump
The India Mark II/III, the Afridev and the Zimbabwe Bush Pump are three of the most successful and widespread handpump designs in the world. Over the last quarter of a century, hundreds of thou-sands, if not millions, have been built and installed in wells and boreholes around the world.
The National Hand Pump in Zimbabwe is called the "B" type Bush Pump and was standardised by the Government of Zimbabwe in 1989 following rigorous trials in very heavy duty and deep borehole settings.
This manual is an illustrated guide to inspecting the pump head to ensure correct functioning and timely maintenance.
Zimbabwe Standard Specification
The Bush Pump has been used in Zimbabwe for over 60 years. It was first designed in 1933 by Tommy Murgatroyd, a water suuply office working in Plumtree, Matebeleland, and some of his early pumps survive to this day.
The Zimbabwe 'Bush Pump' is almost unique on the African continent in that it was conceived and designed and is wholly manufactured within Zimbabwe itself. The family of 'Bush Pumps' owe their success to a simplicity of design and rugged construction which originated from Murgatroyd's pioneering work. The Bush Pump continues to serve the people of Zimbabwe, seventy years after the first pumps of the family were designed and built.