321 Chapel Street
K1N 7Z2 Ottawa
WaterCan is a leading Canadian charity dedicated to fighting global poverty by helping the world’s poorest people gain access to clean water, basic sanitation and hygiene education.
Since 1987, WaterCan’s programs have reached over 1.2 million children, women and men in the world’s poorest regions, breaking the cycle of poverty and disease and increasing opportunities for health, education, gender equality, and economic growth.
Working in partnership with indigenous organizations in eastern African, WaterCan supports small scale, community driven projects that:
- are long term, sustainable development initiatives
- use low-cost, locally appropriate technologies
- integrate water supply, sanitation and hygiene education activities
- emphasize community ownership of planning and management
- emphasize self-help and community participation
benefit and involve women
WaterCan attaches great importance to making the Canadian public aware of worldwide water and sanitation issues. This effort helps to ensure that provision of clean water and sanitation services to the world’s poor remains an important priority for Canadians and other members of the international community.